Where can I learn more about economics of implementation?
- QUERI Implementation Seminars on the HSR&D Cyber Seminar Web Site
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
Economic Evaluation in Implementation Science
This collection of papers in Implementation Science and Implementation Science Communications considers key issues in economic evaluation in implementation science and highlights approaches and examples to inform the field.
- Barnett ML, Stadnick NA, Proctor EK, et al. Moving beyond aim three: a need for a transdisciplinary approach to build capacity for economic evaluations in implementation science. Implementation Sci Commun. 2021;2:133.
- Dopp AR, Kerns SEU, Panattoni L, et al. Translating economic evaluations into financing strategies for implementing evidence-based practices. Implementation Sci. 2021;16:66.
- Eisman AB, Quanbeck A, Bounthavong M, et al. Implementation science issues in understanding, collecting, and using cost estimates: a multi-stakeholder perspective. Implementation Sci. 2021;16:75.
- Gold HT, McDermott C, Hoomans T, et al. Cost data in implementation science: categories and approaches to costing. Implementation Sci. 2022; 17:11.
- O'Leary MC, Hassmiller Lich K, Frerichs L, et al. Extending analytic methods for economic evaluation in implementation science. Implementation Sci. 2022; 17:27.
- Saldana L, Ritzwoller DP, Campbell M, et al. Using economic evaluations in implementation science to increase transparency in costs and outcomes for organizational decision-makers. Implementation Sci Commun. 2022; 3:40.
- Salloum RG, Wagner TH, Midboe AM, et al. The economics of adaptations to evidence-based practices. Implement Sci Commun. 2022; 3:100.
- Smith NR, Knocke KE, Hassmiller Lich K. Using decision analysis to support implementation planning in research and practice. Implement Sci Commun. 2022; 3:83.
Costing and the Stages of Implementation
- Grimshaw JM, Thomas RE, MacLennan G, et al. Effectiveness and efficiency of guideline dissemination and implementation strategies. Health Technol Assess. Feb 2004;8(6):iii-iv, 1-72.
- Liu CF, Rubenstein LV, Kirchner JE, et al. Organizational cost of quality improvement for depression care. Health Serv Res. Feb 2009;44(1):225-244.
- McInnes DK, Solomon JL, Shimada SL, et al. Development and evaluation of an internet and personal health record training program for low-income patients with HIV or hepatitis C. Med Care. Mar 2013;51(3 Suppl 1):S62-66.
- McIntosh E. Economic evaluation of guidelines implementation strategies. In: Changing professional practice: theory and practice of clinical guidelines implementation. Thorson T, Mäkelä M, eds. Copenhagen: Danish Institute for Health Services Research and Development, 1999. DSI Report no. 99.05.
- Severens JL. Value for money of changing healthcare services? Economic evaluation of quality improvement. Qual Saf Health Care 2003;12(5):366-371.
- Smith MW, Barnett PG. The role of economics in the QUERI program: QUERI Series. Implementation Sci. 2008;3:20.
- Vale L, Thomas R, MacLennan G, Grimshaw J. Systematic review of economic evaluations and cost analyses of guideline implementation strategies. Eur J Health Econ 2007;8(2):111-121.
- Wagner TH. Rethinking how we measure costs in implementation research. J Gen Intern Med. Nov 2020;35(Suppl 2):870-874.
- Wagner TH, Yoon J, Jacobs JC, So A, Kilbourne AM, Yu W, Goodrich DE. Estimating Costs of an Implementation Intervention. Medical Decision Making. Nov 2020;40(8):959-967.
- Yoon, J. Including Economic Evaluations in Implementation Science. J Gen Intern Med. 2020;35:985–987.
Cost-Effectiveness Analysis Methods (without reference to implementation)
- Drummond MF, Jefferson TO. Guidelines for authors and peer reviewers of economic submissions to the British Medical Journal. BMJ 1996;313:275-283.
- Neumann PJ, Sanders GD, Russell LB, Siegel JE, Ganiats TG. Cost-effectiveness in Health and Medicine: Second Edition. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Sanders GD, Neumann PJ, Basu A, Brock DW, Feeny D, Krahn M, Kuntz KM, Meltzer DO, Owens DK, Prosser LA, Salomon JA, Sculpher MJ, Trikalinos TA, Russell LB, Siegel JE, Ganiats TG. Recommendations for Conduct, Methodological Practices, and Reporting of Cost-effectiveness AnalysesSecond Panel on Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine. JAMA. 2016;316(10):1093–1103. doi:10.1001/jama.2016.12195
Budget Impact Analysis
- Luck J, Parkerton P, Hagigi F. What is the business case for improving care for patients with complex conditions? J Gen Int Med 2007;22(Suppl 3):396-402.
- Mauskopf JA, Sullivan SD, Annemans L, et al. Principle of good practice for budget impact analysis: report of the ISPOR Task Force on Good Research Practices – Budget Impact Analysis. Value in Health 2007;10(5):336-347.
- Nicholson S, Pauly MV, Polsky D, et al. How to present the business case for healthcare quality to employers. Appl Health Econ Health Policy 2005;4(4):209-218.
- Sullivan SD, Mauskopf JA, Augustovski F, et al. Budget impact analysis-principles of goodpractice: report of the ISPOR 2012 Budget Impact Analysis Good Practice II Task Force. Value Health. Jan-Feb 2014;17(1):5-14.
- Wagner TH, Dopp AR, Gold HT. Estimating downstream budget impacts in implementation research. Medical Decision Making. Nov 2020;40(8):968-977.
- Briggs A, Goeree R, Blackhouse G, O’ Brien B. Probabilistic analysis of cost-effectiveness models: choosing between treatment strategies for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Medical Decision Making 2002;4:290–308.
- Briggs A, Schulpher M, Claxton K. Decision modelling for health economic evaluation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Doubilet P, Begg CB, Weinstein MC, Braun P, McNeil BJ. Probabilistic sensitivity analysis using Monte Carlo simulation. A practical approach. Medical Decision Making 1985;5(2):157-177.